Friday, June 04, 2010

Ezekiel 5 at Schwarzrheindorf



During a break from grading exegesis papers this morning, I surfed over to the images from the Ezekiel Cycle at Schwarzrheindorf, a church from the 12th century c.e. crusading period. Shown above is the south cross vault and images of a prohetic symbolic act depicting God's judgment of Judah from Ezekiel 5. Beginning at the far left and moving counter clockwise we have Ezekiel using a sword as a razor (5:1); weighing the shaved hair in balances (5:1); striking one-third with the sword; and scattering one-third to the wind, but preserving a remnant in his belt (5:2-3).

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil Sumpter said...

I live right round the corner from this Church, it's the most beautiful I've seen in Germany so far. It's called the "Doppelkirche" as the Prince Electors would sit on the first story and watch the liturgy down below through a hole in the floor.

Fri Jun 18, 04:25:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Phil, Thank you for the notes. I would love to see it myself in person some time! ---SLC

Fri Jun 18, 09:59:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Phil Sumpter said...

Well, let me know when you're in the area and I'll show you around.

Sat Jun 19, 01:44:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home