Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Gerald Ford and Virginia Seminary

Gerald Ford, 1913-2006
I bet some of you did not know that at one time Gerald Ford lived right here in Alexandria, about half a mile from Virginia Seminary where I teach. (Now, of course, this was long before I arrived here ten years ago!)

Ford regularly attended the Episcopal parish across Seminary Road from VTS, and was known to walk on our campus. In fact, one time one of the faculty members living on the same circle of houses where I now live caught Mr. Ford piling logs from our Seminary wood pile into his car trunk for his fireplace back home. (One of the nice benefits of being a VTS faculty member is free firewood!). (I believe the faculty member who "apprehended" Ford was Jack Goodwin.)



Ford's house here in Alexandria was built for Ford in 1955, and when Nixon appointed him Vice President, the Secret Service installed a "Command Post" in the garage! The house is now for sale, listed at $999,000.

The Fords continued to live in the house from 1955 until August 19, 1974, when they moved to the White House, ten days after Ford took the oath of office as President of the United States upon Nixon's resignation. Betty Ford wrote: "For me, leaving the White House wasn't nearly so much of a wrench as leaving our house in Alexandria."

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Carey said...

Steve,

This is some cool info..! I just passed on the link to this entry to former colleagues who teach American History ... always good to have an anecdote or two when striving to teach history!

I need to do a drive by of the house, and if I play the lottery just right I could make a bid on the house! (providing I find a job nearby, or stay in seminary a few more years!)

Back to GOE cramming!

Peter

Fri Dec 29, 10:02:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Hang in there with those GOEs Peter! I'm sure you'll be just fine. Best New Year's Wishes, ---S.

Fri Dec 29, 10:12:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home