Monday, September 25, 2006

Madeleine Albright's Recent Visit to the Seminary

I've been asked to say something about the visit here on September 14, 2006 of the Honorable Madeleine K. Albright, former United States Secretary of State. Yes, she did indeed speak to over 600 guests here at Virginia Seminary, offering observations on ethics, foreign policy, the war in Iraq, and inter-religious understanding. To read her full prepared text (PDF), click here. There were some memorable points. I thought it was apt when she insisted that the real axis of evil in the world was poverty, ignorance, and disease.

However, having already read her new book, I found the extended question and answer period to be the most interesting part of the evening. At one point, talking about her current work, she noted how giving peripheral families in the Global South some land-tenancy rights would go a long way to improving the world. In my humble opinion, 2,800 years after the E source, the prophet Micah, and the book of Deuteronomy, this is a message whose time has come!

I must say, I was disappointed that the audience (many priests and church people) had only political and ideological questions--no theological thinking! I hasten to add that Albright's book was trying to combine religious thinking and foreign policy thinking. The nature of the questions was not her fault.

4 Comments:

Blogger spankey said...

Dr. Cook,

Thank you for your honest and theological response to Secretary Albright's presentation. Your allusion to the power of land in Ancient Israel was enlightening as was your apt critique of the audience (and the larger church - I'm afraid) on its lack of deep theological thought.

I just found the flier in Aspinwall and am excited to have a fellow blogger on campus. I look forward to keeping up with your posts. Does bilbische has an RSS feed? I'd like to add you to my google homepage.

Steve

Tue Sep 26, 10:14:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Hi Steve,
So glad you found my OT blog!
Yes, I'd like to provide an RSS feed. I was told that the little red box at the bottom of the right hand column did that through FeedBurner, which is said to include the Google network. Please let me know if that is not true, and what I could do to remedy the situation.
Thanks and Peace,
---Stephen C.

Tue Sep 26, 12:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Peter Carey said...

Steve,

I was trolling back through your blog and noticed your excellent comment about Albright's lecture..."There were some memorable points. I thought it was apt when she insisted that the real axis of evil in the world was poverty, ignorance, and disease." I am not sure if she was aware of this, but before he died, former Yale Chaplain and Minister to Riverside Church, William Sloane Coffin made this "axis of evil - poverty, ignorance, and disease" one of his catchphrases in many of his sermons and addresses after 911..., I'm not accusing plaigiarism, rather a sense of appreciation for a former diplomat using such an interesting turn of phrase from a great preacher and teacher...pretty interesting.

Peace,

Peter

Fri Nov 03, 11:03:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger S and C said...

Thanks, Peter. It is interesting that two of the most difficult crises facing the US right now are Iran and North Korea (in both cases, nuclear threat). Many people can't help wondering if Bush's words on the "axis of evil" helped build the crises up to where they are now. Any thoughts, anyone??

Sat Nov 04, 07:09:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home